Specialty pharmaceuticals represent approximately 55% of drug market and continue to grow its share of the market. Specialty drug trends include demand for personalized medications, and the emergence of new drug approvals for disease states that lacked capable therapy. Gene therapies and orphan drugs are expected to grow and have a significant impact on the market.
Specialty pharmacy has become an essential consideration for industry stakeholders due to their ability to support complex distribution and patient support services in addition to dispensing drugs. There are approximately 2,000 specialty pharmacy locations, with roughly 1,500 achieving accreditation.
Many specialty pharmacies operate independently although the market leaders are often owned by parent entities such as pharmacy benefit managers (PBMs), retail pharmacy and food chains, distributors, or insurers. Although specialty pharmacies owned by PBMs represent a controlling share of the market, growth is being driven by hospitals and health systems opening in-house pharmacies to increase revenues.
Competition in the industry continues to increase as numerous stakeholders try to establish footholds in the market, including the consolidation of larger specialty pharmacies and private equity investment.
AMI’s 2023 report, Specialty Pharmacy Market Leaders 2023 Overview, identifies over 90 of the leading specialty pharmacies and their parent organization. The report also includes an Industry Background section and provides profiles of each specialty pharmacy with the following intelligence:
- Pharmacy Name
- Executive contact
- Company background
- Chronic conditions treated
- Patient services
- Payer/Provider services
- Pharmaceutical services
- Preferred Health Plan Contracts
- Limited and Exclusive distribution drugs dispensed
Table of Contents
- Specialty Pharmacy Background – pgs. 7-19
- Specialty Pharmacy Ownership – pgs. 20-23
- Drug Distributors Profiles – pgs. 24-34
- Pharmacy Benefit Managers Profiles – pgs. 36-46
- Retail Pharmacies Profiles – pgs. 47-65
- Health Insurers Profiles – pgs. 66-81
- Food/Retail Stores Profiles – pgs. 84-98
- Hospitals/Health Systems Profiles – pgs. 99-125
- Pharmacy Services Companies Profiles – 126-134
- Private Equity Specialty Pharmacies Profiles – pgs. 135-151
- Independent Specialty Pharmacies – pgs. 152-167
Please contact us for a full Table of Contents and Report sample