The laws establishing the US biosimilar approval pathway were passed in 2010, but the market for biosimilars is only beginning to gain speed. The causes for this slow start are complex and multifactorial. Veteran biosimilar industry journalist and BR&R Content Director Stanton Mehr unravels the competing interests of stakeholders and pragmatically reframes the conversation: How did we arrive at today’s critical juncture in the US biosimilar marketplace? What biosimilar categories will thrive or fail? What dynamic forces may drive a biosimilar future in the US?
The report, Where the US Biosimilars Market Is Heading and When It Might Get There, is a vital resource for those managing drug benefits, designing medical and pharmacy coverage policies, prescribing biologic medications, and the manufacturers of biosimilars and biologics alike.
This 74-page report covers the past, present, and future of the US biosimilar industry. We take an in-depth view into five critical drug categories. We delineate the forcing factors that will allow for future success of biosimilars in the America. This publication also analyzes the competing priorities of each relevant stakeholder, some of which can limit or optimize the biosimilar-related savings obtained by the US health system.
The table of contents of Where the US Biosimilars Market Is Heading and When It Might Get There includes:
Section 1: Access and Competition
- Setting the Stage
- How Reference Manufacturers Hinder Biosimliar
Competition and Access
- How Biosimilar Manufacturers Hinder Access to Their
- How the Federal Government Hinders Biosimilar
- Factors Working in Favor of Improving Biosimilar
Access and Competition
Section 2: Marketplace Insights
- The G-CSF US Marketplace
- The Trastuzumab US Marketplace
- The Infliximab US Marketplace
- The Adalimumab US Marketplace
- The Insulin Transition to Biosimilars and the
Section 3: Looking Ahead
- Forcing Factors and the Future of Biosimilars in the US
- State of Texas v. USA and the Potential Implications for Biosimilars
- A Summing Up: Final Thoughts on 2020, 2023, and Beyond
Readers of Where the US Biosimilars Market Is Heading and When It Might Get There will gain comprehensive business perspective on the biosimilar industry’s past, present, and future.