Telepharmacy Market Overview. Telepharmacy is defined by the ASHP as a method used in pharmacy practice in which a pharmacist utilizes telecommunications technology to oversee aspects of pharmacy operations or provide patient care services.
Telepharmacy can be utilized to allow onsite pharmacy activities to be fulfilled even if the pharmacist is not physically located at the point of pharmacy operation or patient care. Many small rural hospitals rely on contracts with local retail pharmacists to provide pharmacy services at the hospital.
Telepharmacy can be utilized in retail or in clinical settings, such as hospitals or nursing homes. The four different types of telepharmacy include:
- Inpatient telepharmacy refers to a pharmacist at a remote location performing remote order-entry services for an inpatient pharmacy at a hospital.
- A remote-dispensing site, or retail community telepharmacy, is a licensed brick-and-mortar pharmacy staffed by a certified pharmacy technician (or two, depending on volume).
- The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) defines IV admixture as, “the preparation of pharmaceutical product which requires the measured addition of a medication to a 50 mL or greater bag or bottle of intravenous fluid.”
- Remote-patient counseling equates to pharmacists providing patient counseling via a live-and-interactive video session, or by some means through telecommunications. (TelePharm, The 4 Different Types of Telepharmacy, Zach Schladetzky | April 10, 2018)
There is an increasing number of pharmacies providing telepharmacy to patients, as well as a growing number of software vendors providing products and services to pharmacies to enable them to provide telepharmacy services.
AMI’s new report, Telepharmacy Market Overview, offers an overview of the market and brief profiles of a leading pharmacies providing telepharmacy services and telepharmacy software vendors. The report’s Table of Contents:
Telepharmacy Background – pgs. 4-5
Pharmacies – pgs. 6-22
- Comprehensive Pharmacy Services
- CPA MedNovations
- Envision Telepharmacy
- Kmart Telepharmacy
- Medication Review Inc.
- NuCara Management Group
- PharmaCare Services
- Sav-Mor Drugs
Software Vendors – pgs. 23-40
- GlobalMedia Group, LLC
- Liberty Software
- PharmCo Rx
- PharmD on Demand
- TelePharm/Cardinal Health
- Telnet-Rx Remote Solutions
- Transaction Data Systems/Rx30