Penn Medicine Report.
Penn Medicine’s history of patient care began more than two centuries ago with the founding of the nation’s first hospital, Pennsylvania Hospital, in 1751, and the nation’s first medical school at the University of Pennsylvania in 1765.
Today, with more than 39,000 employees, the University of Pennsylvania Health System (UPHS), in combination with the University of Pennsylvania, is the largest private employer in Philadelphia. The health system includes six hospitals – the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Penn Presbyterian Medical Center, Pennsylvania Hospital, Chester County Hospital, Lancaster General Health, and Penn Medicine Princeton Health – and many outpatient locations throughout Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
Working with an Integrated Delivery Network (IDN) has evolved over the years with accounts becoming larger, although fewer in number. Medical device and pharmaceutical sales reps no longer sell directly to pharmacists or physicians as business operations and profit have become as, if not more, important than clinical decisions.
Working successfully with IDNs is dependent upon knowing and understanding which, and how many, types of site of care and decision-makers there are in the organization. This will not include hospitals but also medical groups, long-term care, outpatient centers and clinics, specialty pharmacy, and strategy for bundled payments and population health.
AMI’s June 2018 report on Penn Medicine identifies:
- The organization’s sites of care and decision-makers.
- Hospital locations and number of beds.
- Medical Groups, ACOs and decision-makers.
- Population health and bundled payment activities.
- Financial and Statistical information.
- Recent Activities.
The report’s Table of Contents:
- Executives – pg. 4
- Background – pg. 4
- Hospitals – pgs. 5-6
- Skilled Nursing Facilities – pg. 6
- Medical Group – pg. 7
- Accountable Care Organizations – pg. 7
- Specialty Pharmacy – pg. 8
- Bundled Payments/Population Health – pgs. 8-9
- Health Plan/Insurance – pg. 10
- Financial/Statistical Information – pgs. 11-12
- Recent Activities – pg. 13
- Sources – pg. 14