Military Healthcare Market – As one of the largest health care systems in the United States, with total spending of more than $48 billion per year, the Military Health System includes both a direct care component, composed of DoD-operated and staffed health care facilities, and a purchased care component operated through TRICARE regional contracts.
Veterans Affairs operates one of the largest integrated health care systems in the country with approximately 8.7 million enrollees.
As a vendor dealing with government healthcare, DoD and VA, there are similar but different operational issues on the front and back end of formulary effort as well as utilization.
DoD and VA procurement is heavy on contracting – all or none in many categories. DoD and VA also use a rigorous process in drug review – clinical and economic parameters.
As dependable a revenue source in today’s evolving market, government healthcare will experience more changes and future reductions are planned for next couple of years.
AMI’s 2016 Military Healthcare report’s Table of Contents:
Military Health System (MHS) – pgs. 6-30
- Quadruple Aim
- Drug Spending
Defense Health Agency (DHA) – pgs. 31-37
- Projected Savings
- DHA Pharmacy Operations Division
Defense Logistics Agency – pgs. 38-40
VA and DoD Formulary Management Processes – pgs. 41-43
Veterans Affairs (VA) – pgs. 44-72
- Commission on Care Recommendations
- Supply Schedule
- Outpatient Visits
- Military Health System (MHS)
- Quadruple Aim Goals – pg. 9
- TRICARE Facts and Figures – pg. 12
- TRICARE Beneficiaries by Plan Type – pg. 13
- UMP Funding – pg. 20
- Outpatient Drug Spending – pg. 21
- Drug Point of Service Analysis – pg. 22
- DHA’s Top 12 Drugs Spending in FY 2015 – pg. 23
- Specialty vs. Non-Specialty Drug Spend – pg. 24
- Specialty vs. Non-Specialty Drug Spend POS – pg. 25
- Top 5 Specialty Drug Classes – pg. 26
- Trends in DoD Expenditures – pgs. 27-28
- Pharmacy Operations Organization Chart – pg. 35
- VA and DoD Formulary Management Comparison – pgs. 41-43
- VA Outpatient Visits – pg. 67
Published: August 2016