Amazon Alexa announced that it now is capable of transmitting and receiving protected health information. Its new HIPAA-compliant status means that operators and residents alike may find more reasons to use the device.
The company has been working with six organizations to develop “skills” to manage a variety of healthcare needs at home simply using voice – whether it’s booking a medical appointment, accessing hospital post-discharge instructions, checking on the status of a prescription delivery, looking up their blood glucose readings and blood glucose measurement trends, and managing health improvement goals.
The new healthcare skills launched include:
- Atrium Health a healthcare system with more than 40 hospitals and 900 care locations that includes nursing homes, home healthcare and hospice and palliative care throughout North and South Carolina and Georgia: Customers in North and South Carolina can find an urgent care location near them and schedule a same-day appointment.
- Swedish Health Connect by Providence St. Joseph Health, a healthcare system with 51 hospitals across 7 states and 829 clinics with eight independent and assisted living communities in four states; 13 nursing homes and transitional care facilities in four states; two California skilled nursing facilities operated by affiliate Facey Medical Group; and supportive housing for older adults, disabled individuals and others in three states: Customers can find an urgent care center near them and schedule a same-day appointment.
- Express Scripts: Members can check the status of a home delivery prescription and can request Alexa notifications when their prescription orders are shipped.
- Cigna Health Today: Eligible employees with one of Cigna’s large national accounts can now manage their health improvement goals and increase opportunities for earning personalized wellness incentives.
- My Children’s Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) by Boston Children’s Hospital, a leading children’s hospital: Parents and caregivers of children in the ERAS program at Boston Children’s Hospital can provide their care teams updates on recovery progress and receive information regarding their post-op appointments.
- Livongo: Members can query their last blood sugar reading, blood sugar measurement trends, and receive insights and Health Nudges that are personalized to them.